Whether you’re new to hosting or a seasoned pro, there’s always something new to learn to make your guests’ stay as comfortable and memorable as possible. We will share some of our top Airbnb hosting tips for making your listing stand out, providing excellent customer service, and ensuring your guests have a great experience. From optimizing your listing for search engines to providing extra amenities, we’ll cover everything you need to know to be a successful Airbnb host. So, read on for some valuable insights and advice, whether you’re just getting started or looking to take your hosting to the next level.
Before you do anything
- Do your research. Before deciding to list your property, make sure you comply with all local laws and regulations regarding short-term rentals.
- Make sure that there is a demand for short-term rentals in your market. To do so, use analytics websites such as Airdna or Airbtics to plan for high and low seasons, pricing, supply versus demand, etc.
- Optimize your listing for search engines. This includes using relevant keywords in your title and description. Use keywords that potential guests might use when searching for a place to stay in your area. Avoid taking pictures yourself with a phone camera, and hire a professional to take high-quality photos that showcase your space. You can also include a virtual tour or a video of your space to give guests a better idea of what to expect.
- Price your space competitively—research similar listings in your area to get an idea of a fair price. Remember that pricing too high or too low can deter guests, so be sure to find a balance that works for you. Alternatively, go one step further by implementing a dynamic pricing tool which updates your listing price in real-time. We recommend using Pricelabs, Beyond Pricing or Wheelhouse.
- Keep your calendar updated. Make sure your calendar reflects the availability of your space.
- Be responsive to guests’ questions and concerns. The quicker you respond, the more likely they will book your space. Always respond to messages and inquiries promptly and professionally. In addition, guests are more likely to leave positive reviews if they feel their host was responsive and helpful, which, in turn, will improve your search rankings.
- Consider offering discounts for more extended stays or repeat guests. This can attract more guests and improve your rankings by showing that you’re willing to work with guests to make their stay more affordable. Offering discounts can also help fill gaps in your calendar and increase your occupancy rate. Furthermore, we strongly suggest using the 20% “New listing” discount offered by both Airbnb and VRBO. This promotion helps your listing gain some initial tracking. Both platforms boost your property near the top during this promotion.
- Get involved in the Airbnb community. Participate in the community forum discussions, and engage with other hosts to share Airbnb hosting tips and best practices. This can help you stay up-to-date on the latest trends and improve your ranking by showing that you’re an active member of the Airbnb community.
- Provide your guests with clear check-in instructions. This includes directions to the home, access to the building, where to park, and how to enter the property. The last thing you want is for the guests’ trip to start badly because of a painful check-in process.
- Give your guests a house guide and your house rules. A guide can also include instructions for appliances and other amenities, such as how to use the TV, the stove and access the Wi-Fi network. This can help guests feel more comfortable, and you will, in turn, encounter fewer problems.
- Be flexible with check-in and check-out times. This can make it easier for guests to plan their trip and make them more likely to book your space. It’s also important to note that flexibility with check-in and check-out times can help your listing rank higher in search results, showing that you’re accommodating the guests’ needs. If you can’t be flexible, clearly state your check-in and check-out times in your listing so guests know what to expect.
- Keep your space clean and well-maintained. This may be the most crucial part of being a successful host. Make sure to keep your space clean and tidy before and after each guest, and fix any issues that arise as quickly as possible. It will help guests feel comfortable and more likely to leave a positive review. If guests consistently feel that the property is dirty, Airbnb and VRBO can shut down your listings. Poor reviews on cleanliness also have the strongest effect on your rankings. Hire a cleaner or cleaning team you trust to leave the property looking spotless.
- Provide guests detailed information about your area, including recommended restaurants, bars, and activities. This can help guests feel more comfortable and excited about their trip. It can also help improve your ranking as a host by showing that you’re an expert in the area and can provide valuable information to guests. Be sure to include information on transportation, local events, and other pertinent information that guests might find helpful.
- Be open to guest feedback, and make changes to your listing if necessary. This can help you stay on top of any issues and ensure your guests have a great experience. Take note of any feedback you receive, and make changes to your listing if necessary to improve the guest experience.
- Consider providing fresh sheets, towels, toiletries, and a guide to your city. Guests expect a home’s privacy coupled with the luxury of a hotel.
- Create a welcoming atmosphere. This includes decorating your space with a personal touch, ensuring it is well-lit and warm, providing essentials like coffee and tea, and creating a comfortable environment. This can help guests feel more at home.
By following these Airbnb hosting tips, you can increase the chances of having a successful short-term rental experience, make your guests’ stay more comfortable and memorable, and optimize your listing to attract more guests and increase your bookings.
Contact us today so that we can help you maximize your rental revenue!